As an added touch, the woman I spoke with at Sharper Image hung up on me when I called to question the cancellation. So, Mr. Our Tips and Tricks is instituting a global boycott of Sharper Image. Please join me by refusing to do business with this company.
It's late (9:30pm) on December 18. I'm tired, so this will be relatively quick and dirty. If you're looking for a last second Christmas gift, I have a good one, especially if the recipient is a traveler. It's the Bose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones. They're currently on sale on Amazon for $269.99, but the following step-by-step guide will show you how you can be like me and use MrRebates.com, LivingSocial.com, and American Express to score yourself a pair of these headphones for $179.81. I don't know how long this will last, so if you're interested, don't dilly dally.
|I have the older model, but it's been showing wear|
- Open two tabs on your browser. Go to MrRebates.com in both tabs. Make sure you're logged in to your account.
- In the first tab, search for "Sharper Image". You'll see MrRebates is offering 10% cash back on SharperImage.com purchases. Note the coupon code "AFF30" that offers $30 off purchases of $250 or more: You'll be using that code.
- Follow the MrRebates link to SharperImage.com. Search for "Bose Quiet". Follow the link to the Bose QuietComfort 15 headphones and add them to your account for $269.95. Go to Checkout.
- At checkout, you'll see it's $269.95 for the headphones plus $10.95 for shipping. Apply promo code "AFF30" and the price will drop to $239.95 plus shipping. Make sure this works as planned before moving on to the next step.
- Before checking out from Sharper Image, you're going to buy a $50 Sharper Image gift card for $25 via a LivingSocial.com offer. So, switch to your other tab that's still at MrRebates.com. Search for Living Social. You'll see they're offering 4% cash back for Living Social purchases. Follow the link to LivingSocial.com and find this offer for a $50 SharperImage.com gift card for $25. Complete your purchase and the gift card number will be emailed to you right away for immediate use. You'll earn $1 cash back for this purchase via MrRebates.
- If you have an American Express, open a new tab and log in to your American Express account at AmericanExpress.com. In the "Offers for You" on the bottom of your main page you should see an offer for SharperImage.com for a $25 statement credit on any purchase over $125 from SharperImage.com. Find that offer and save it. I've been taking advantage of a bunch of these offers via my Starwood AmEx and they've given me statement credits without fail.
- Now, go back to your original tab with your Sharper Image purchase. By now, you've certainly received your gift certificate number from Living Social. In the Sharper Image checkout screen, click the "Apply a gift certificate" hyperlink and enter your number. $50 dollars will be subtracted from your total, which should now read $189.95, plus $10.95 for shipping and no sales tax, for a total of $200.90.
- Check out with your American Express that has the saved offer for $25 off $125 and make your purchase.
- Congratulations. You should get your new headphones in a couple weeks.
To wrap it up, here's the math.
- Original total of $269.95 + $10.95 shipping = 280.90
- Minus $30 via AFF30 coupon code = $250.90
- Minus $50 for Living Social gift certificate = $200.90
- Plus the $25 you paid for the $50 gift certificate = $225.90
- Minus $1 for the 4% cash back on the Living Social purchase = 224.90
- Minus $20.09 for the 10% cash back on the Sharper Image purchase = 204.81
- Minus the $25 statement credit from American Express = 179.81
Total cost of $179.81 for the Bose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones. Plus, since I used my Starwood AmEx for both the Living Social and Sharper Image purchase, I earned 226 Starwood points, which are probably worth about $5. That's a great deal if you ask me. And on that I'm going to bed to get ready for my 4am wake-up call.